Fundado em 1530 por Simão Correia, capitão de Azamor e figura importante do Algarve, o convento nasceu de uma doação de casas feita aos Frades Observantes da Província Franciscana de Portugal.
Nos dias de hoje, encontra-se classificado como imóvel de interesse público e esta muito degradado e abandonado, esperado uma reconstrução; há anos que se fala num projecto de reabilitação, converte-lo num hotel de charme, mas nada acontece!
Founded in 1530 by Simon Correia, Azamor captain and major figure of the Algarve , the convent was born from a donation made of homes Observant Friars of the Franciscan Province of Portugal.
In 1755 due to an earthquake the convent was destroyed, and the dome of the church, as well as several outbuildings fallen, thereafter had several non-religious functions, all of which contributed to its deterioration.
Nowadays, is classified as a building of public interest and it's very dilapidated and abandoned expecting reconstruction; spoken for years in a rehabilitation project, converts it into a boutique hotel, but nothing happens!